Shelter for Urban Homeless (SUH)
The Urban homeless contribute to the economy of the cities and thus the nation as cheap labor in the informal sector; yet they live with no shelter or social security protection. The urban homeless survive with many challenges like no access to elementary public services such as health, education, food, water and sanitation.
Delhi Urban Livelihoods Mission (Delhi SULM) aims at providing permanent shelter equipped with essential services to the urban homeless in a phased manner under the Scheme of Shelter for Urban Homeless (SUH).
The objectives of the Shelter for Urban Homeless (SUH) component of NULM scheme are to:
• Ensure availability and access of the urban homeless population to permanent shelters including the basic infrastructure facilities like water supply, sanitation, safety and security
• Cater to the needs of especially vulnerable segments of the urban homeless like the dependent children, aged, disabled, mentally ill and recovering gravely ill, by creating special sections within homeless shelters and provisioning special service linkages for them.
Facilities at the Shelters:
The shelters will be permanent, running though out the year; and open round the clock, because many homeless persons find work in the nights. Following facilities/amenities may be provided at the shelters for dignified living:
• Well ventilated rooms.
• Water arrangements (Potable drinking water and other needs) and sanitation.
• Adequate bathing & toilet facilities.
• Standard lighting for shelter.